Smell gas? Get out fast.
Go to a safe location outside to call 911 or call 311
Natural gas is non-toxic, colorless, odorless and combustible. So, for your safety, we inject a very unpleasant odorant that smells like rotten eggs to the natural gas delivered through the Richmond Gas Works distribution system. This ensures you will be able to smell the odor to alert you of a potential natural gas leak.
If you smell rotten eggs or suspect a leak
• Go to a safe location outside to call 911 or call 311
• Don’t assume someone else will call it in; please call & report it
If the odor is strong or you hear a hissing or roaring sounds
• Don’t turn electrical switches off/on
• Don’t use any type of portable communication or electronic devices
• Don’t use battery powered equipment (even a flashlight)
• Don’t start your car or any type of motorized equipment. These can spark and create a source of ignition.
You can request a scratch n/sniff card or brochure on natural gas safety if you’d like more information. Property managers, neighborhood and civic associations, schools and government agencies are encouraged to request multiple copies for public outreach.
Responding to your call 24/7. 7 days a week. 365 days a year.
At Richmond Gas Works, safety is a core value and it shapes everything we do. Day in and day out, we work proactively to maintain and improve our longstanding record of safety and reliability. It’s something we’ve been doing 24 hours a day for more than 150 years.
Richmond Gas Works responds to reports of natural gas leaks and other gas emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• If the leak poses an immediate threat, we’ll take action to make the area safe.
• If there is no immediate safety issue, the area is made safe and corrective action is scheduled for a later date. This prioritization lets us ensure the safety of all our customers and minimize any traffic disruptions. It allows us to best allocate resources and can help minimize disruption to you by coordinating necessary work with your schedule.